Match Report - Home v Penybont FC on 20th April 19. Provided by Matt Elliott

Undy 0-1 Penybont FC : Attendance 145

Undy welcomed champions elect Penybont to the Causeway yesterday and they were forced into one change from the starting lineup that drew midweek away to Goytre, with Alex Jarman starting in place of the unavailable Kel Stevens.

The first half was a sprightly affair with both teams playing open passing football. Undy had the first chance when Cullimore was put through by Power only to be thwarted by a superb save from the Penybont keeper. It wasn't long before Smallcombe was called into action too, producing a stunning save to tip a goalbound header over his crossbar.

As if he wasn't to be outdone, the Penybont goalkeeper then made an even more miraculous save when Dan Jarman was put clean through with just the keeper to beat. Somehow the keeper managed to get his feet to the ball pushing the goalbound effort wide of his far post.


With the first half ending goalless, the teams came out for the second half intent on entertaining and they didn't disappoint. On a gloriously sunny day and with the Causeway packed with spectators the second half was just as enjoyable as the first. Both teams playing open and attacking football. Undy more than matched their opponents Penybont and to the neutral the quality of football played did not reflect the difference in positions between the two clubs in the league table. Chances were now few and far between and as Penybont needed to win to secure the championship the pressure could be seen to creep into their play and their frustration grew as a resolute Undy defence defended admirably. 

However the breakthrough came with around 10 minutes left to play. A seemingly innoculous right wing cross alluded everybody at the front post and seemed to catch Waters by surprise at the back post. A moment of hesitation allowed the Penybont striker to stab the ball home passed a stranded Smallcombe. This did not do Waters justice as he had been outstanding throughout the game. Undy now pressed forward in search of an equaliser and almost got one through Woods. He gathered the ball on the left touchline, cut inside his man only to be confronted by two defenders. He then stopped the ball, looked up and nonchalantly chipped the ball towards the far corner of the net from the corner of the 18 yard box. The crowd rose expecting to see the ball nestle in the stanchion but from out of nowhere the Penybont keeper appeared and clawed the ball around his upright for a corner. Two minutes later the referee blew for full-time and Penybont were crowned champions.

Although the result went against Undy the performance the players can draw a lot of confidence from the football played and willingness to work for each other.

We now move on to our next midweek game which is Wednesday at home to Cwmamman with a 6:30 p.m. kick off. Thank you again to all those who came and supported team yesterday and created an amazing atmosphere.