JD Cymru League South : Cwmamman United v Undy AFC ; 2 - 1 L

Scorer - Aherne.

Not the greatest of games for those loyal supporters who made the second longest journey of the season. The game was hindered by a cold strong wind and a very heavy bobbly pitch that made playing our usual passing game very difficult.

These conditions definitely suited the hosts better than Undy but it was Undy who were the most creative for the first 25 minutes. Cullimore squandered two great opportunities firing his shots straight at the keeper when it looked easier to place the ball beyond and into the goal. Thomas was also guilty of wasting another great opportunity when slipped through on goal from a neat Cullimore flick. Hitting a tame right foot shot that the keeper gathered comfortably.

These missed opportunities were to be costly as a long and high punt forward from the Cwmamman back line, a tactic that they deployed for the great majority of the afternoon, resulted in a game of “head tennis” on the edge of the Undy box before the ball fell to the feet of the Cwmamman no9 who mis-hit his shot, wrong footing Smallcombe who could do nothing but watch the effort role slowly into the the far corner of his goal.
H.T 1 : 0

Undy made a tactical change at halftime with Wright being replaced by Gidney to enable a change of formation. Still struggling to adapt to the conditions it wasn’t long before Undy found themselves even further behind. Yet another long ball played from the Cwmamman defence saw their young forward use his pace to out-sprint Thompson and Clayton before benefiting from a lucky rebound of Smallcombe enabled him to roll the ball into an empty net. Try as the might, Undy could not get in to any rhythm and lacked penetration as a consequence and it wasn’t until injury time that they eventually found the back of the net but not after a moment of madness by the Cwmamman centre half.
A cross field ball was put out for a corner by the fullback who stayed down injured but beyond the dead ball line. Realising this he then attempted in what was clearly an effort to waste time, roll back on to the field of play. Cullimore remonstrated with the player before being bundled over by the in rushing centre half. This action saw the ref instantly reach for the red card and dismissing the player for violent conduct. When the referee had reasserted his control over the game Undy scored from the resulting corner. Barnes whipped in a tantalising ball to the far post for the ‘birthday celebrating’ Aherne to run on to and poke home. This proved to be the final action of the match with the referee blowing up for full time immediately after the resulting kick off.
F.T 2 : 1