Match Report - Home v Cambrian  and Clydach BGC on 13th April 19. Provided by Jason Davies

Undy 2-0 Cambrian & Clydach BGC : Scorers - Cullimore & Power

Starting 11 (4-4-2) - Smallcombe (Capt). Waters, Aherne, Parry, Smith. Woods, Wright, Barnes, Dan Jarman. Cullimore, Power
Subs - James (on for Jarman - 85mins), Roberts, Edwards.

In front of a large crowd, including many away fans, We took the spoils against a very good Cambrian & Clydach (Cambrian) with a great team performance. Both teams played some very good football despite the breezy conditions, using the excellent playing surface to play at a high tempo.

Cambrian started the stronger and dominated possession and territory early on. Our shape was solid and there were no real scares but the pressure was building until we started to get a bit more of the ball after the first fifteen minutes. Jarman started to make his presence felt down the left flank and it was great to see him back to full speed. The ball was starting to stick with the front two and we were able to push higher up the pitch. The opener came mind way through the first half when some neat passing football created an opening in the box. We seemed to have been crowded out but Cullimore, looking very sharp and hungry all afternoon, found himself some space to fire across the young Cambrian keeper in to the far corner.

As conceding the first goal seemed to deflate us last week, taking the lead inspired us this week and we continued to play our way in to the game, coping well across the whole back four with the threat posed by the quick attacking play from Cambrian. The nearest they got to scoring was when we struggled again to clear a corner and the bobbling ball looked destined for our goal until a grateful Smallcombe pounced on it. At the other end we continued to threaten with the best chances coming when Jarman hit the cross bar with a bicycle kick and Woods shot wide from 12 following good work from Cullimore.

By half time I don't think anyone would have begrudged us our lead. However, Cambrian would be playing in to the breeze second half which we thought may improve them as many of their through balls carried through easily on the breeze to Smallcombe during the first period.

Our attitude and application was superb in the first half so simply needed the same again, but what we got was even better. Not everyone was back in their seats when we scored our second. A simple long ball seemed to confuse their centre half who just let it go over his head. I think some people thought play had been stopped but Marcus played on and cutting in from the left calmly slotted past the keeper. Even his celebration was muted to begin with as the referee wanted to check the goal was ok with the linesman, It was and Marcus' excellent finish had given us a clear lead.

The remainder of the second half was a good advert for this level of football, both teams trying to play football and everyone needing to be alert at all times to keep each other at bay. Credit to the officials who managed the game very well. We are obviously desperate for points and fighting for our lives but Cambrian weren't here to make up the numbers and the game was very competitive throughout. The nearest we came to a 3rd was when the excellent Jarman chased down the full back and advancing keeper to poke the ball goal wards between them only for it to be cleared off the line. Although not a dirty game, Wrighty, as usual, got booked but we suffered a major setback when a deliberate body check by Ernie saw him pick up a second yellow on 70 minutes. 20 minutes with ten men, against second in the league, desperate for a win - not a great scenario for the nervous amongst us. Luckily none of the payers seemed nervous and our play over the remaining 20 was superb. Barnes slotted in to centre half, Marcus in to midfield. Our shape, decision making, application and work rate was superb. We conceded possession but still looked a threat on the counter attack. Too often Cambrian players found themselves with no easy pass and started to get frustrated with each other. With Jarman and Woods proving a great outlet their defenders were also having to make cynical tackles and two more bodychecks by one of their subs saw him off with 10 to go. Smallcombe genuinely had very little to do but organised very well as usual having been given the armband on his 260th consecutive appearance. Mad dog James came on for Jarman on 85 and we saw out the game fairly comfortably.

Games always seem better when you win but it really was a good watch. "Why can't we play like that every week" was an inevitable comment from the fans but hopefully the players realise again what they are capable of. Other teams around us picked up points so there is still much to do but play that well again on Wednesday night at Goytre and we give ourselves a great chance of picking up more vital points.

It would be easy to say no man of the match this week because it was a great team performance. Special praise goes to our defensive effort and shape. My man of the match however is Mike "bucko" Waters who was superb throughout at right back.


James Smallcombe 260 not out !!!

'Smalls' completed a great day for himself and Undy AFC, keeping a clean sheet on his 260th consecutive appearance in a 2-0 win over 2nd placed Cambrian and Clydach.

First team manager Jason Pritchard presenting James with the match day programme before the start of the game.

A fantastic achievement and a great example to all our players, well done James.